14 July 2007

The Big Move

After over five years of running an academic department in Arizona, and eight years of living in the desert, I'm returning to the land of trees, foothills, and rivers. In a little over a month we'll be making the trek back to South Carolina, where I'll be teaching English. Just teaching English. Not being held responsible for every oversight, every midterm or attendance not posted, every instructor 10 minutes late to class.

I'm sure I'll miss the adrenaline charge of juggling 13 things at once, but I'm looking forward to a respite. In the meantime, there are a million things to be done--figuring out how to move several hundred books, two dogs and a cat 2000 miles, for starters--while still keeping up with the job that was never meant for one person.

August isn't the best time to leave the Valley of the Sun, so there will surely be challenges and entertaining things to write about along the way. I'll keep y'all posted.

1 comment:

AD said...

Congratulations on the new job and good luck with your move!