19 June 2007

An Apple a day

So far in my investment history I've made at least one good decision. Sure, I've had stocks that have made gains, and I did all right with my company's discount stock purchase plan, but since I bought Apple stock it's increased around 785%. I bought 13 shares at a little over $26, and I now have 26 shares that closed over $124. And the iPhone, which looks pretty damn cool, hasn't even come out yet. I don't plan to leave Verizon or spend that much money on a phone any time in the foreseeable future, but I hope lots of other people do.

The best part of this is that it's held in my Roth IRA, so I'll never pay any money on the capital gains. Of course, right now they're unrealized gains, and the stock could always tank. But I'm still gambling on Apple, at least in the current market. As one of my colleagues put it, other companies sell computers; Apple has sold a lifestyle. And in America, we'd rather buy a lifestyle than build one ourselves. I'll bank on that.

No comments: